Saturday, August 15, 2009

Right On Schedule

I was a little late leaving work, but got out of there a little after two. Hopefully we could still be on the road before 4:00, which would put us at our hotwire paid hotel in Birmingham around 10:00, not too bad. I decided to wait and eat my lunch on the road and let Tina start the trip driving. I reversed that decision around 3:30, when we were still well away from being packed. Uh-oh, we are a little behind schedule.
Uh-oh, we are a lot behind schedule. We finally pull out of the drive, with Tad following in his car, a little before six, and we had to make a stop by the bank and a stop to get a bag of ice (when did ice get to be 2.50 a bag?) Anyway, we are finally on the road. Thirty minutes later we are stuck in traffic just outside of Charlotte. I mean bumper-to-bumper, standstill traffic. So, I pull out my handy-dandy GPS and ask Maggie for a detour. 45 minutes later we are back in Fort Mill, heading out a different way. Check the rearview and Tad is still there.
Ugh. It's around 7:30 and Maggie tells us we should be at our hotel around two (that's a.m., for those keeping score at home). Of course Maggie doesn't realize we haven't had dinner yet.
After a long stop at McDonalds, where Tina had to teach them how to make a burger and fill a cup with ice and coke, the new ETA is 2:30, but we are finally on the interstate.
Do not travel I-85 through diwntown Atlanta at midnight on a Friday night! 5 lanes, 4 of which are closed. Nearly one hour stuck in traffic (no attempt at a detour this time). New ETA, 3:30. By this time who cares right, just get us to a bed.
Finally some good news, we arrive at 3:30, but we've crossed a time zone so it's only 2:30 here. Hey, at this point it's all about the small victories. Heading out in an our or so for the second leg, surely it will be better, right?

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Every mile that brings you back to the Promised Land is a good mile. Be safe! ~Mindy

David said...

It would not do for me to have that kind of travel schedule! By 11pm, my head is looking for a pillow! Sounds like Maggie was very helpful. Now if you can just train her to find food at the appropriate times! My GPS is named Jill and she recently decided to stop talking... completely. Don't know what's up with that, but it will probably make Mindy happy!

Amanda said...

I hope you videoed Tina's McD instruction for future use and our enjoyment! Be safe!! Tell Teal I said "HI!"