Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Weekend Warrior

Weekends at our house in the fall usually involve some kind of football. This past weekend we were treated to NCAA college football, NFL football and PS2 football. Tate and I are the big football fans, the others only have a peripheral interest. The main teams we pull for at the NCAA level are The University of Texas Longhorns, Purdue, Clemson, and for some reason Tate loves to pull for the Oregon Ducks. In the NFL it’s the Cowboys and the Colts, and to a lesser degree the Panthers. I’ve been a Cowboy fan literally longer than I can remember. We became Colts fan during our 3-year stay in Indiana, and since Tate was born there, he’s really adopted them as his team. No illegal rooting going on here (with the exception of the Ducks). I’m not sure Tina knew what she was getting into when she married a Cowboy/football fan, but she’s a good sport and keeps interested and roots for them as well. She does have to bug out during the close games and turn on Desperate Housewife’s or something. She can’t stand the tension.

Oh, and in case you haven’t heard, do you know what Purdue fans do after their team wins the National Championship?
They turn off the PS2 and go outside.

Anyway, mixed in with the Longhorn and Clemson win, and the Purdue loss this weekend, was some quality dining room painting time. Well, I use the word quality loosely. Hopefully I’ll post some pictures so you can check it out. I hate painting, and this was no exception. However, I put on a good attitude, carefully taped off the crown molding, chair rail, columns, windows and doors and began to paint. The trim part I especially hated. However, after 2 coats, and several football games, it was finished. The next morning we removed the tape. AAAGGGHH! It was awful. Some of the paint had seeped behind the tape and ran onto the molding. Some of the paint on the wall peeled off with the tape. So now there’s tons of touchup and cleanup to be done, and I am all out of good painting attitude. I suppose either Tina or I will muster up some “want to” and get it done in the next weeks, but no promises.
The only thing to really perk me up was the Cowboys beating the Redskins Sunday night. The Colts and the Panthers also came away with wins, but the Cowboy win was just what the doctor ordered. I especially like the finish where they were up 4 and got the ball back with 6:23 left. They gave the ball to Marion Barber 9 times straight and said to the Redskins, “this is what we got, what are you going to do about it”? No answer from the skins, Cowboys run out the clock and win.

No comments: