Friday, October 10, 2008

Nothing Like A Good Night's Sleep

So last night I nestled down in bed around 10:30 and watched the ending of the Clemson – Wake Forest game. Good game, WF wins. Anyway, I was ready for a good night’s sleep. Then:

10:45 p.m. Turned off the TV and the light.

11:00 p.m. - Dog is still whining. He went out right before bedtime. He must not like the temporary location of his kennel where he sleeps at night. “Gizmo hush”. Finally, 10 minutes later, he seems to have quieted down.

12:00 a.m. - I hear Tina roll over and say, “What’s that” in a very sleepy voice. I wake up and see that my nifty little I-Pod radio alarm is trying to go off. The light comes on, but it’s not on a radio station so there is just low level static. It has two different alarms that can be set, and one of them has accidentally been set to midnight, I think sometime during a power loss. I wish I could figure out how to work this thing. I’ve only had it about 10 months. Tina suggests we give it to Teal.

12:10 a.m. - Finally get the alarm off. I’m not sure which combination of button pushing worked, so I’ll probably get to do this again tomorrow. If you’re up, give me a call.

1:00 a.m. – I hear a deep voice. “Mom”. I wake up to see Tad standing in our doorway. “What’s up Tad”.
“I threw up”
Uh-oh. Visions of cleaning up vomit, and memories of nights doing that when the kids were small and would catch a virus, flashed through my mind.
Tina – “Do I need to clean something up?”
Tad – “No, I made it to the bathroom”.
Whew, that was a close one. That would have been a huge disaster.
“Get some water and go back to bed. Make sure you stay hydrated.”

1:15 a.m - “Gizmo hush”

1:20 a.m. - Finally silence.

1:21 a.m. - Bathroom trip. I’m awake; I might as well pee so I can sleep later tomorrow morning.

1:30: a.m. - “Gizmo hush”

1:35 a.m. - Finally doze off to sleep.

3:00 a.m. - “Mom”

3:01 -3:25 a.m. – Disaster clean up.

3:30 a.m. - Take Gizmo outside and make another bathroom trip. I’m sleeping very late tomorrow.

3:35 a.m.- Move Gizmo’s kennel to another spot.

3:38 a.m. – “Gizmo hush”

4:00 a.m. – I hear Tina rollover and get out of bed. “What’s wrong?”. “Can’t sleep”, she says. I haven’t been asleep either, but I stay in bed and doze off.

6:00 a.m. – The second alarm on my “nifty” Ipod alarm goes off. Crap, I should have remembered to turn that off during the night. This one I can turn off easily, back to sleep.

6:02 a.m. – Tina’s alarm goes off and she gets up. She apparently made it back to bed some time.

6:10 a.m. Tina’s alarm is going off again. She must have shut it off with the snooze.

6:13 a.m. – Finally manage to fumble around with the buttons and get her alarm off. Good, now I can sleep until 8:00, rush around to get ready and still make it to work by nine-oclock.

7:15 a.m. - “Tim, can you take Teal to school”?
“What time do we need to leave”?

7:20 a.m. - Tina and Teal have ended their conversation about what time to leave, so I get out of bed.

7:20 – 7:35 – Not sure exactly what I did during this time.

7:35 a.m. – Leave the house and drive Teal to school, then continue on to work.


Yes, this was nothing like a good night’s sleep.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That was funny- to me, not you. Maybe tonight you will actually get sleep! For the record, I think Teal would love the Ipod.

Mindy said...

I wondered if Tad's tummy problems were a result of bad chili, but I see this fiasco happened before the cookoff. Eek! Hope all is well now. And what a story. For future reference, cats don't whine or bark or anything.